The Researcher (Collaborative Project 2)

“The Researcher” is a Sci Fi Thriller/Horror Short Film In which an astronaut researcher arriving at a space colony discovers that her only colleague is not who she appears to be.

Our team was made up of two animation students, two sound design students and Antoni and me who took care of the vfx of this project.

We discussed all together about ideas and how to proceed, we firstly made the storyboard and we followed it step by step.

Storyboard act1

For the realisation of this project I have practiced on several tutorials in order to achieve some visual effects:

How to create dust on the ground
Using AI atmosphere in Maya
How to create a planet atmosphere

In this scene, I had to recreate a space environment, I used a HDRI image of the milky way as the skydom.I recreated two planets, the main one had to have the appearance of Mars, creating two spheres and applying textures manages to obtain an excellent result for a previs.

Both planets are surrounded by an atmosphere, created with Volume on maya.

Flames of the two thrusters are animated.
We wanted the dust to rise as the machine passed, using fluid by changing the transparency and lighting on maya we were able to make it happen

Working on this project was very useful and interesting. We worked as a team trying to reach the established goals, even if we had some problems along the way.

Final previs